Temporary Residents Departing Australia

If you’re a temporary resident working in Australia, your employer must make super guarantee contributions for you if you’re eligible.

When you leave Australia permanently, you can claim the super that you accumulated while working here if all the following apply:

  • you visited on a temporary visa (excluding visa sub-classes 405 and 410); and
  • your visa has expired or been cancelled; and
  • you have left Australia.

Your claim is generally called a ‘departing Australia superannuation payment’ (DASP) and you should apply for the payment within six months of your departure and your visa expiry date.

This excludes people returning to New Zealand who are covered by the Trans-Tasman retirement savings portability scheme.

How can I claim my DASP?

You can claim your DASP online within 6 months of departing Australia, using the ATO’s DASP online application system which is free of charge.

What if I left Australia more than six months ago?

If you haven’t claimed your DASP within six months of your departure, then WA Super will be instructed by the Australian Tax Office (ATO) to transfer your super money to the ATO; they will hold your unclaimed super for you until you claim it.

If we pay your super to the ATO, we’re not obliged to notify you, or provide you with an exit statement, in accordance with relief granted by the Regulator (ASIC). If, however, you contact us at a later date, we will provide the payment details and any other information you require within one month of your enquiry.

When will I receive my DASP?

Your DASP should generally be paid within 28 days of sending the ATO your application, as long as WA Super has received all the information that we require.

How will my DASP be taxed?

The DASP tax rate for working holiday makers (WHMs) is 65%. You are/were a WHM if you hold/held one of the following visas:

  • a 417 (Working Holiday) visa;
  • a 462 (Work and Holiday) visa; or
  • an associated bridging visa.

For non-WHM visas, the DASP ordinary tax rate of 35% or 45% will be used, depending on the taxed and untaxed element of your contributions.

Additional information

It’s a good idea to check with us before you lodge your application online with the ATO, because we may need to have received documents from you before your application can be processed. Most people find it much easier to get documents certified before they leave Australia.

What should you do now?
  • Visit the ATO website for answers to FAQs about claiming DASP.
  • Call the WA Super Member Services team in Perth on 08 9480 3500 to check what information we require to process your DASP claim.


Return to top