FAQs for members

What WA Super details do I need when filling out forms or notifying someone about the fund?

ABN: 18 159 499 614
MySuper No: 18159499614451
AFSL: 269006
Name of Fund: WA Local Government Super Plan trading as WA Super.

How can I find out my account balance?

You can see your account balance at any time using Member Online. The links are at the top right corner of this website. Use 'Join' if you haven't already created a Member Online account. Use 'Login' if you already have a Member Online account. Alternatively you can call us on 08 9480 3500.

How can I find lost super?

You can claim lost super using our new online search tool. It can be used to find two types of lost or unclaimed super:

  • ATO held monies – These include amounts paid by employers, super funds or the government on your behalf that need to go into your superannuation account.
  • Other superannuation accounts you may have – If you've worked for multiple employers, you may have several super accounts and are probably paying more fees than you need to.

So don’t delay! Find your lost super in Member Online. More information about finding lost super can be found here.

How do I make a contribution?

The easiest and preferred method is Electronic Funds Transfer (ETF) via BPAY®.

Our Biller code is 18622.

You can find out your reference number by logging in to Member Online or by calling us on 08 9480 3500.

You can also make a contribution by cheque, in person or by post or by making arrangements with your employer to make an after-tax payment.

If you don't use BPAY® you’ll also need to complete and send to us Personal or Self-employed contribution forms.

More information about contributions is available under Grow your super.

When can I withdraw my super?

There are restrictions on when you can access your super. This is called ‘preservation’. Preserved money can only be accessed if you meet one of the following Conditions of Release. You:

  • reach age 65;
  • retire permanently on or after your Preservation Age;
  • leave employment on or after age 60;
  • die or become totally and permanently disabled;
  • meet the legal requirements for severe financial hardship;
  • meet the compassionate grounds requirement as approved by the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (APRA);
  • leave employment and your super has a restricted non-preserved component;
  • leave employment and your preserved benefit is less than $200;
  • are a temporary resident holding an eligible class of visa and have permanently left Australia;
  • suffer from a terminal medical condition; or
  • one of the other conditions of release for preserved money under super law.

How can I access my account online?

If you have been online before, click on the Member Online ‘Login’ link in the top right hand corner of this web page.

You’ll need to type in your Client Number and your password (all new passwords must be a minimum of 5 characters long).

Password requirements:

  • at least 8 characters
  • at least one uppercase character
  • at least one lowercase character
  • at least one numeric character
  • at least one symbol (non alpha or numeric) character

How do I notify of a change of address?

There are 3 ways you can update your address:

  1. Go online and update any of your contact details on the Member Basic Details screen
  2. Go to the forms page and download the hard copy form called ‘Change In Personal Details’.
  3. Call us and update your details over the phone.

How does salary sacrifice work?

Salary sacrifice contributions can be a tax effective way to pay contributions into your super.

Just how tax effective it may be will depend on your top income tax rate for your net taxable income in any financial year. Salary sacrifice is paid by your employer from your gross wage (and so it’s not taxed before it’s paid into super). The super fund then takes out 15% contributions tax.

There are limits on how much you can salary sacrifice into super before penalty taxes are imposed.

Find out more about salary sacrifice and watch the salary sacrifice educational module.

Can I transfer my other super into WA Super?

Yes you can. This is often called a rollover. (Some State & Federal Government super funds have restrictions on rollovers but most other funds have no restrictions).

We recommend you check carefully whether your other super fund will apply charges before rolling over, and be sure to check any benefits, such as insurance, that may be lost. You should seek professional advice before making a decision.

You may also be able to transfer any insurance currently held elsewhere. Please contact our Member Services Team to discuss these issues before you arrange the rollover so that you do not lose any insurance benefits.

A rollover form is available on the Forms page.

What are the fees?

Details of fees and charges are available on the fees page and in the PDS.

Can I keep my account when I change jobs?

Yes you can. WA Super is a public offer fund which means that anyone who is eligible to contribute to super can be a member. If you change jobs, all you have to do to stay with us is nominate WA Super as your choice of fund. Just give your employer a Choice Form.

Do I have choice of super?

Most employees in Australia have a Choice of Fund to which their statutory contributions are made. Some restrictions may apply to amounts over and above these contributions depending on certain awards or employee contracts. The ATO has more information on Choice of Fund. WA Local Super is the default fund for Local Government employees in WA.

How do I change my beneficiary?

You can make either a binding or non-binding beneficiary nomination on your account.

If you nominate a non-binding beneficiary, the Trustee will always consider your wishes in regards to your nominated beneficiary but the Trustee is not legally bound to follow your nomination.

A binding nomination instructs the Trustee how to pay your death benefit in the event of your death, and if your nomination is valid, the Trustee must follow it no matter how your circumstances have changed. A valid binding death benefit nomination remains in effect for three years and must be renewed before the expiry for it to remain valid.

There are two ways you can change your beneficiary. You can do it online in the secure member area or you can complete a form available here

Return to top